Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kankana’s Stuffed Mouse Gourds

On July 12, after posting my mouse melon stir-fry recipe and sending the link to my Twitter followers I received a DM from Kankana www.sunshineandsmile.com. She asked for my email address so she could share with me her recipe. In her message she told me that mouse melon was one of her favourite veggies but could not get it in California. She said: “When I saw it {mouse melon} in your blog I couldn't help asking you to try this recipe”.   

Tonight I prepared the stuffed mouse gourds thinking of Kankana. The verdict: Delicious! And I will for sure make some again soon (when the gourds are in season). It’s a nice change from my stir-fry recipes. The melon itself is quite bland but the addition of cumin and chilli brings stronger flavours. The mashed potato combined with the turmeric-flavoured batter make a very tasty dish.

My gourds really looked like little mice (nice) patties.



Below is the adapted version of Kankana’s recipe:

Ingredients:   
  • 4 small mouse gourds/melons  
  • 1 large potato
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil

For the batter:
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1 egg
  • Baking powder (1 pinch)
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder 

Steps:
  1. Blanch the veggie (leave the skin).
  2. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds carefully. Keep the shell (outer veggie)
  3. Boil the potato and mash it with the scooped seeds. Add spices (cumin powder, chilly powder, salt & black pepper).
  4. Put above mixture in the shells.
  5. In a mixing bowl prepare batter: mix flour, egg, baking power, salt & black pepper and little bit of turmeric powder (optional). The batter shouldn't be too runny just enough “to coat a spoon”.
  6. Cover the shell entirely with this batter.
  7. Shallow-fry in vegetable oil.

Kankana uses the deep-frying method. For a while I thought of steaming the stuffed gourds but wondered if it would be tasty enough (although less fatty). I finally opted for the shallow-fry method.




For those living in Hong Kong or who can buy mouse melon if you ever try this recipe let us (Kankana and I) know how you like it.
Last but not least a big thank you to Kankana. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment