Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dragon Fruit Cereus Flower Soup


Dragon fruit cereus / ba-wòhng-fâ / 霸王花

I found these nice flowers (not yet opened) at one vegetable and fruit seller in Mongkok. As I had never seen them before I asked the seller for the name of this plant and how to cook it.  

He only gave me its Chinese namewhich is in Cantonese Ba wòhng fâ.  When I arrived home I immediately googled Ba wòhng fâ (I did not know how to write it in Chinese) and did not find anything like the flowers I bought.
Today I asked my Mandarin teacher how to write  Ba wòhng fâ.  Then I googled again in Chinese 霸王花 and found that these flowers were from the cactus family and had several common names:

 - Night blooming cereusas the name indicates the blooms appear at night and close as soon as the day starts;
- Dragon fruit cereus - Pitaya – Dragon fruit - Strawberry Pear:  these are all names of the same fruit and come from the Dragon fruit cereus.

The Night blooming cereus is widely grown in the tropical regions.  Its scientific name is: Hylocereus undatus

Here is the recipe of the soup (for 3-4 persons) given by the seller:



Dragon fruit cereus soup

Ingredients:
  • 3-4 (about 1lb) dragon fruit cereus flowers - Ba wòhng fâ
  • ½ catty (300gr) lean pork
  • 3 honey dates maht jóu
  • 10gr sweet and bitter kernels nàamh-bâk-hahng

Steps:
  1. Soak the flowers at least 1hour and wash clean. { It is quite slimy} Rinse well.
  2. Wash and drain the kernels and honey dates.
  3. Wash and blanch the pork for a few minutes, and rinse.
  4. Boil 6 rice bowls of water in a large saucepan. Put all the ingredients in. Cover. Bring to the boil.
  5. Lower the heat and cooked for about 2 hours.

I found Ba wòhng fâ quite bland. Its flavour is similar to an asparagus and it has a slimy texture. The combination with the meat, the sweet dates and the kernels is perfect.  I like it! And I will definitely make it again!

The stall where I bought the ba-wòhng-fa

Dragon fruit or pitaya / fó-lùhng-gwó

2 comments:

  1. Still one of my favorites!
    Still only hk$10 at any dried food market store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add water to a non-stainless steel pot, covered to leave a small gap of pot cover and bring it to boil. Lower fire to the smallest and silmmer to for 30 mins. Add some rock sugar to taste. Good for cough.

    ReplyDelete