Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chocolate Brownie Cake

I don’t know why but during the month of January I have been making more cakes /cookies than in the whole of 2012. 
Here is the recipe of brownies that I used to make for my son when he was still living with us. I cannot recall where I got it.
You can find numerous similar recipes on Internet and/or in books. I also found a recipe on the packaging of white flour. 



Here is ‘My” (the) recipe (I like) of Chocolate Brownie Cake:
Ingredients:
  • 150 g butter
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (~ 150g)
  • 2 cups sugar (400g)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cups flour (~ 180g)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup slivered almonds (~ 100g)
Steps:
  1. Heat butter and chocolate in a heat-proof bowl placed in a small saucepan half filled with water. Melt chocolate and butter over a low flame then remove from heat.
  2. Add sugar in chocolate mixture and stir well.
  3. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
  4. Add gradually flour and eggs (one at a time) to chocolate mixture, stirring constantly until all has been incorporated.
  5. Add chopped almonds and vanilla extract.
  6. Pour mixture into a rectangular baking tray (about 28 x 20 cmx3cm) lined with baking paper. Smooth surface.
  7. Pre-heat oven at 170 C for 15 minutes and bake for about 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of dish. Cool in baking tray. Remove from pan.




The cake can be cut into 5 x 4 cm pieces (makes about 20 brownies) and kept in airtight container in a cool place for 3-4 days.

Lately I made this cake for a birthday party. I covered the cake with icing chocolate (melted butter and about 50g dark chocolate chips) then sprinkled a handful of chopped almonds on top and finally decorated it with a few fresh strawberries (see photo).
 

Note: I asked some of my friends to taste my recipe before the party. Some of them told me that it was too sweet for their taste so I only put 1 cup of sugar instead of 2 (in the birthday cake).  

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment