I found this cute-looking gourd at my usual stall in Mongkok. The middled-age man and the old lady (I guess Mum & Son) are always very kind to me. I know that it must be annoying to answer all the foreigner's (gwái-pòh!) questions. Not only do I ask the name of their produces, how to cook them, but also how to write the name in Chinese! They are so patient. And I am so lucky and thankful.
This fruit plant is called "mouse 老鼠 lóuh-syú" melon (gwâ 瓜) due to its shape and colour which looks like the small rodent. The surface of the melon is covered by a greyish fur-like velvet.
- 2 mouse melon 老鼠瓜
- 2 square pcs of dried bean curd (dauh-fuh-gôn - 豆腐亁）
- 1 medium size wheat gluten / gluten meat (mihn-gân 麵根)
- 100gr fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 shallots
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce (seafood sauce)
- 1 tsps light soya sauce
- 1 tsps sugar
- black pepper & salt, to taste
Note: I also added 1/2 zucchini (left-over)
- Wash clean the mouse melons.
- Peel and cut lenghtwise. Using a spoon scrap to remove the seeds and fibrous flesh.
- Cut again lengthwise and slice into 1 cm thick pieces.
- Wash and cut into large pieces dried bean curd and gluten meat. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Wash the mushrooms. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Stir-fry bean curd and gluten until lightly brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan stir-fry garlic and shallot until translucent.
- Add mushrooms. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add melon, beancurd, gluten meat and seasoning in. Mix all ingredients well (if necessary add a little bit of water)
- Reduce heat to low and cook until mouse melon is tender.
The taste of mouse melon is a bit similar to zucchini squash. Mouse melon flesh is firmer and greener, and it better holds its shape than fuzzy melon (hairy gourd / jit gwâ 莭瓜). It does not have the strong hearthy flavour of the angled gourd (silk gourd 絲瓜).
I will definitely buy again this gourd and highly recommend it to you!
You know this is one of very fav vegetable and i don't get it in US. I will email u a recipe made with vegiee.. try it.. you will love it :)ReplyDelete