Saturday, April 9, 2011

About my menus


The quantity of ingredients used in my recipes is usually for 3-4 persons.

Each dinner-menu consists of 3 courses: 1 soup  + 1 main dish + 1 vegetable

For health reason (my husband's cholesterol level is marginally high) I avoid dairy products and eggs and only use olive oil.
I never use artificial broth. If a recipe needs broth (chicken or beef) and I have no time to make my own, I replace it with water.
I try to use as much as possible fresh vegetables instead of tin/can ones. However, sometimes for practical reasons (to gain time) I would buy pulses (kidney beans, butter beans, garbanzo, etc) in can.

Soups:
Amount of water required: 6 rice bowls (see photo below) which makes about 4-5 serving bowls.
I recommend scalding meat in boiled water for a few minutes (to remove grease) before preparing the soup.



Rice bowl (250 ml)

Main dishes:
We have a vegeterain main dish at least twice a week and a vegetarian meal once a week.


Vegetables:
I order organic vegetables from Hong Chi Homestead (a Social Enterprise which is run by Hong Chi Association) and I also buy from wet markets and supermarkets. I prefer to buy seasonal vegetables rather than those which are not in season. Our vegetables are either parboiled and pan-fried or stir-fried (in a wok - Chinese style) with ginger and garlic.


Steamed-Rice:
I alternate brown rice and white rice. I add 1 whole clove of garlic in the rice cooker to give flavour.



Fruit / Desserts: It is said and I believe it that fruit are best eaten between meals (or at least 1 hour before).   We usually don't have cakes/dessert in the evening (unless special occasion).
  



Bread:
I make my own bread. Clik here for recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment